History & Tradition
St. James School has a long-standing tradition of providing a well-rounded education in a Catholic setting for 150+ years. The first St. James School building was erected in 1866 just west of the present structure. (The original structure remains at that location today as a private residence.) A convent/school housing grades 1-12 was built in 1901 on the site, which currently serves as the south parking lot. The present school was dedicated in 1957 with four religious sisters teaching grades 1-8. The current staff continues to maintain the tradition of providing high quality academic programming while guiding students in grades preschool through fifth as they develop into life-long learners of their Christian Faith.
How we measure up…
- The average percent of students in grades 3rd-5th proficient in reading is 92%**
- The average percent of students in grades 3rd-5th proficient in math is 90.9%**
- The average percent of students in grades 3rd- 5th proficient in science is 91.2%**
- The average percent of students in grades 3rd - 5th proficient in social studies is 87%**
- Students in grades 3rd - 5th make an average of 1.3 years annual growth in achievement*
- Students perform at an average of 1.6 years above the National Grade Equivalent on Iowa Assessments*
- We provide comprehensive language arts, reading, spelling, math & science programs that align with Iowa Core.
- Since 2004 twelve former St. James students have been named valedictorian or salutatorian at the public school.
*Data retrieved from 2014 Iowa Assessments **IA Assessments NSS scores used to determine proficiency.
- A long standing tradition of all-day every day kindergarten
- Three age appropriate, licensed preschool programs
- Two of the three preschool programs are part of the Iowa State FREE Preschool Program
- A commitment to an average teacher to student ratio of no more than 1:15
- A rigorous, developmentally appropriate curriculum meeting the needs of the individual learner
- Daily religious instruction
- School-wide and classroom service learning
- Title I/ELL services provided on site
- Multi-aged school families
- Theme days and school pride days
- Special Education services, speech, hearing, and vision
- Multi-age grouping of intermediate grades combined with self-contained and departmentalization
- Involvement in public school instrumental music program
- Busing provided by public school
- Fully functional Mac lab in the library and iPads and laptops in every classroom
- SuccessMaker and Typing Pal computer program curricula
St. James maintains a policy of open enrollment to people of all races, ethnic origin, or religious affiliations. 32% of our student population is non-Catholic.
Tuition Assistance is available through scholarships and the Student Tuition Organization (STO of SE Iowa). Don’t let price be a deterrent. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at (319) 653-3631.